Our Sustainability Roadmap
The decisions we make today can make a positive impact on our tomorrow
We can't achieve results without a clear plan. That's why we drew up a Sustainability Roadmap - our detailed plan to achieve our environmental, social, and governance goals. It builds on our progress and is a cornerstone of our company strategy.
Our Sustainability Roadmap is grounded in three long-term commitments, with interim milestones to focus our efforts and measure our progress.
Our sustainability commitments
Our 2030 targets
At DHL Group, sustainability is a journey, not a destination. That's why we've set milestones to focus our efforts and measure our progress. These transparent, time-bound targets and KPIs are integral to our strategic planning and decision-making processes, much like our financial goals. For 2030, we aim to achieve the following objectives:
- Invest €7 billion to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions
- Reduce annual GHG emissions to under 29 million metric tons (official target confirmed by the Science Based Target Initiative (SBTi)*
- Electrify 60% of our last-mile delivery vehicles
- Increase the share of sustainable fuels to over 30%
- Increase the share of green electricity to over 90% globally
- Install sustainable heating in more than 50% of our buildings
- Offer green alternatives for 100% of all core products and services
*Our science-based target represents a 42% reduction in absolute direct emissions from the use of fuels and indirect emissions from purchased energy (Scope 1 and 2) and a 25% reduction in absolute emissions from fuel and energy-related activities, upstream transportation and distribution, and business travel (Scope 3).
Our long-term commitments
Our Sustainability Roadmap focuses on three long-term commitments:
In line with the Paris Agreement, we are redefining the logistics industry with state-of-the-art technology to reduce our carbon footprint and a comprehensive portfolio of green products to help our customers achieve their environmental goals.
In every corner of the globe, we are standing out as a role model for good corporate governance, following trusted and transparent business practices and complying with a wide range of legal and regulatory requirements.
Our road to clean operations for climate protection
We've made it our mission to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. Beyond our 2030 milestones, we've mapped out a detailed pathway to get there:
- Make aviation continuously more sustainable by investing in the latest technology, improving flight operation efficiency, supporting innovative technologies (e.g., electric aircraft), decarbonizing ground handling, and adding more green options for customers.
- Make our last-mile and line-haul fleets greener by continuing to electrify where suitable, increasing our use of sustainable fuels, optimizing fuel consumption, supporting innovative technologies (e.g., hydrogen and electric long-haul trucks), facilitating carbon insetting, motivating subcontractors to invest in green solutions, and empowering employees to be more eco-friendly
- Make our facilities carbon neutral by designing all new buildings with a zero-carbon footprint (started in 2021), increasing green electricity and heating, fueling e-vehicle fleets with local renewable sources, and implementing smart facility management systems.
- Make our product portfolio green by offering green alternatives for all our core products, expanding our carbon reporting capabilities, driving innovation and adopting new technologies, and partnering with like-minded suppliers and customers.
Our road to being a great company to work for all
Rooted in our values of Respect & Results, we are creating an environment of genuine diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Here's how we intend to make that happen:
- Reduce our lost time injury frequency rate (LTIFR) to below 3.1 by 2025.
- Increase the share of women in management to at least 30% by 2025.
- Consistently exceed 80% on Employee Engagement in our Employee Opinion Survey.
- Foster a 'Safety First' culture.
- Raise awareness of our human rights policy through dedicated communications and training programs.
- Champion the importance of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging within our teams.
- Expand our award-winning Certified program and e-learning offerings.
Our road to being highly trusted everywhere
Building on a robust and effective governance organization across our entire Group, we are making compliance an integral part of everything we do through the following actions:
- Train all employees in relevant management positions on our Group's compliance and data protection standards
- Ensure that our data security capability is one of the best in the business
- Increase our share of supplier spend with suppliers who have accepted our Supplier Code of Conduct
- Assess high-risk suppliers based on a structured due diligence process.
Our road to a lasting impact in our communities
We are not paving the way to sustainability in a bubble. Our Sustainability Roadmap also includes our aspirations to make a lasting impact in our communities. In the context of our Go Programs, we aspire to:
- Invest 1% of our net profit on social impact
- Plant 5 million trees by 2025 (GoGreen)
- Scale up our cross-bord trade facilitation initiative (GoTrade)
- Localize and digitalize our disaster management program (GoHelp)
- Expand our program to educate and empower young people (GoTeach)